- 2017 – “The Glass Beads of Sexwamin” University of Toronto (PDF copy available upon request)
Public Speaking, Podcasts, and Interviews
- 2023 – The Cult of Brother XII, featuring Steph Halmhofer WetWired Podcast
- 2023 – Conversations: It’s Never a Cataclysm, Pseudoarchaeology & “Documentaries” with Steph Halmhofer. Let’s Talk About Myths, Baby!
- 2023 – Atlantis and the Apocalypse: The World of Pseudo-Archaeology. CBC: Ideas.
- 2023 – The Man from Atlantis, feat. Steph Halmhofer. Wetwired Podcast.
- 2022 – Angriper arkeologeri ny Netflix-serie. Morgenbladet.
- 2022 -With Netflix’s Ancient Apocalypse, Graham Hancock has declared war on archaeologists. The Conversation.
- 2022 – Why Archaeologists Aren’t Looking for Atlantis. IFL Science/Curious Magazine
- 2022 – Pseudoarchaeology Unveiled: How to Spot an Archaeological Conspiracy Theory and Why We Need to Pay Attention to Them. Deschutes Public Library, Know Ancient
- 2022 – U of A Days special event, Transforming the Past for the Future. Read about it or watch an edited (for length) recording of the presentations
- 2022 – Conversations: The Conspiracy & Conspirituality of Atlantis with Steph Halmhofer. Let’s Talk about Myths, Baby! Podcast.
- 2022 – Steph Halmhofer on Ancient Aliens, Pseudoarchaeology, and the Far-Right. Enemies of the People Podcast.
- 2021 – Making an Alien. The Cantina Series
- 2021 – From Atlantis to Xenomorphs: The Curious Case of Pseudoarchaeology. Archaeological Institute of American – Ottawa Chapter.
- 2021 – Steph Halmhofer on Pseudoarchaeology. Yeah Nah Pasaran! Podcast
- 2020 – Archaeology and Pop Culture. BC Heritage Fairs 2020 Virtual Fair
- 2019 – Arch and Anth Podcast, Ep. 2 – “What is Bioarchaeology?”
- 2019 – Archaeological society tries to stem continuing controversy over #MeToo scandal
- 2019 – #MeToo controversy erupts at archaeology meeting
- 2018 – “#InventedFantasies: Using Social Media to Talk About Pseudoarchaeology”. Shannon Lecture Series. Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
- September 26, 2018 – Halfway Expert Podcast, Ep. 1 “Archaeology with Stephanie Halmhofer”
- August 6, 2018 – Archaeological Fantasies Podcast, Ep. 96 – “Canadian Pseudoarchaeology with Steph Halmhofer”
- August 2, 2018 – Go Dig a Hole Podcast, Ep. 51 – “Don’t Go Outside”
- April 1, 2018 – Women in Archaeology Podcast – “Pseudoarchaeology”
- 2017 – A 95-Year-Old ‘Real Life Tomb Raider’ Isn’t a Hero, She’s a Thief
- 2023 – There is Power in the Past: The Politicization of Archaeology and Heritage in the Star Wars Universe. Unbound: A Journal of Digital Scholarship
- 2021 – What’s the Meaning of Stonehenge? Second Response. Epoiesen
- 2021 – Did Aliens Build the Pyramids? And Other Racist Theories. SAPIENS
- 2021 – Moving Beyond Weiss and Springer’s Repatriation and Erasing the Past. International Journal of Cultural Property
- 2020 – What Lies Beneath, at Devil’s Reef, in Miskatonic #1, Women Write About Comics
- 2020 – New Meets Old in Atlantis Attacks #1, Women Write About Comics
- 2019 – Take Back the SAA: Member-Led Organizing and Action in the Wake of #SAA2019, The SAA Archaeological Record, Vol 19(4)
- 2019 – The Harmful Pseudoarchaeology of Mythological Atlantis, Women Write About Comics
- 2019 – NextGen Voices: Unique Identities, Science, Vol 364, Issue 6435
- 2018 – Crafting Lara Croft: Comics, Consoles, and Cinema, Ms En Scene
- 2017 – Tomb Raider: Survivor’s Crusade #1: An Archaeologist’s Take, Women Write About Comics
- 2017 – Playing in the Dirt and Calling it Science, Stories in Science
- 2017 – “NextGen voices: Advocacy in Brief.” Science, Vol. 356, Issue 6333
- 2016 – What You Don’t Learn in Class, Faces of fieldwork
- 2015 – “The dating habits of archaeologists, part 1: radiocarbon dating”, CurioCity
- 2015 – “What puts the bio in bioarchaeology?”, CurioCity
Society for Historical Archaeology
- 2023 – Poster: “Uncovering the Lost Land: The Archaeology of Conspiracism and New Age Spirituality in Southern British Columbia.”
- 2022 – Paper (withdrawn, due to COVID-19 travel concerns): “Re-Whiteing the Past: The Use of Archaeology and Pseudoarchaeology by White Nationalists in North America”
Cultural Heritage Crime Conference
- 2022 – Paper: “Truth shall spring out of the Earth.” How Indigenous History in Iowa is Being Stolen by a Pseudoarchaeological Quest to Prove A Fringe Book of Mormon Theory True.”
Realizing Resistance Episode II: Uncharted Galaxies; An Interdisciplinary Conference on the Star Wars Universe
- 2021 – Paper (co-authored with Alex Fitzpatrick): “There is Power in the Past: The Politicization of Archaeology and Heritage in the Star Wars Universe.”
Institute for American Indian Studies Annual Native American Archaeology Roundtable: Martians, Atlanteans, and Lost Tribes: Pseudo-archaeology and Its Impact on Native American Studies – IAIS’s 15th Annual Native American Archaeology Roundtable
- 2020 – Paper: “Here, they made their magic. How a Cult Found Egyptian and First Nations Magic in British Columbia.”
Society for American Archaeology Annual Conference
- 2019 – Symposium, Co-Chair, “Interactions with Pseudoarchaeology: Approaches to the Use of Social Media and the Internet for Correcting Misconceptions of Archaeology in Virtual Spaces”
- 2018 – Poster, “The Blown Glass Beads of Garden Bay, British Columbia”
- 2018 – Electronic Symposium, Chair, “From the Ground Up: Updates and Lessons Learned from an Open North American Archaeology Textbook”
Canadian Archaeological Association Annual Conference
- 2022 – Session Chair: Hybrid (session included virtual and in-person presentations). The Archaeology Of and In the Contemporary World
- 2021 – Session Chair: Archaeology and Heritage in the Contemporary World.
- 2021 – Paper: “Myth-Taking and Myth-Making: Exploring the Use of Pseudoarchaeology in Lost City Explorers and Arkworld”
- 2017 – Presentation, “A New Style of Glass Bead from Garden Bay, British Columbia”
British Columbia Association of Professional Archaeologists Annual General Meeting
- 2020 – “Why Complaint Matters.
- 2019 – “”It Ticks you off…Because it’s a Waste”; Why Archaeologists Need to Talk About Archaeology”
Canadian Association for Physical Anthropologists Annual Conference
- 2015 – Invited presentation, “Two cases of Bipartite Coracoids from the Trail Bay Site (DiRw-28), Sechelt, British Columbia”
Frucht Memorial Student Conference, University of Alberta
- 2012 – Poster, “The Pathologies of Wolverine (Gulo gulo) K981.02″
- 2011 – Poster, “Differential Diagnosis of Tuberculosis, Leprosy, and Treponematoses: Does aDNA Help?”
- 2010 – Poster, “Artifical Cranial Modification Among First Nations Populations of British Columbia” (won first place in the poster competition)
- 2015 – “The Same River Twice” by Stephen Legault
Journals I’ve Reviewed Articles For:
Support Research and Outreach:
Like what you’ve read on Bones, Stones, and Books? Consider supporting science research and outreach by buying me a coffee on Ko-fi!